Lemon Drizzle Muffins

It's time to get the kitchen scales out again. I've got a recipe for you to try.    Here in Britain, Lemon Drizzle Cake is a favourite for afternoon tea.  We are going to make a variation on that theme, Lemon Drizzle Muffins.


Sometimes lemon cakes and pies are a bit TOO lemon-y for me but these muffins are gently flavoured.   There won't be any puckering up here!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F/ 200 degrees C.  Prepare the muffin tins by lining them with paper muffin cups.  This recipe makes 9 regular size muffins. 

You will need the following ingredients:

9 oz. plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 oz.  white sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
3 fl. oz. vegetable oil - I use canola oil
1 egg
4 fl. oz plain yogurt* -  our home made yogurt is great for this
4 fl. oz. milk

 *If you don't have yogurt you can increase the milk to 8 ounces.

In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. 

In another bowl, or large jug, mix together the egg, milk, yogurt, oil and lemon zest.  Pour the wet ingredients into the big bowl of dry ingredients and stir until everything is JUST combined.  

Remember the Muffin Rule - DO NOT OVER MIX.

Spoon the batter into the muffin tins and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.  The muffins are done when the tops are lightly browned and they spring back if you gently touch them. 


While the muffins are baking, make the 'Drizzle' part. 

Simply stir together:

3 ounces of icing sugar
3 Tablespoons of lemon juice

When the muffins are baked, remove them from the muffin tins and place on a wire rack or a baking sheet.  This might get a bit messy.  Spoon the lemon glaze over the hot muffins so the glaze will 'drizzle' and melt over them. 


There's only one thing left to do.  Put the kettle on, we 're ready for afternoon tea!

Comments

  1. Hi Deb,

    I arrived at your link via your comment on Lucy Worsley's blog. I'm a big fan of hers. :-)

    It would appear that you and I have a lot in common!

    I'm an American expat married to a Brit living in England; we are in Surrey, not far from London.

    I'm a TEA LOVER. I write an American tea blog (www.UniquelyTea.blogspot.com), and am in the process of creating www.TeaInEngland.com - which I have very high hopes for. :-)

    I've just had a look around your blog and I love your posts, especially this one. There are only 2 of us (me and the Tall & Handsome Englishman) so this recipe looks perfect. Thanks!

    By the way, my husband, although born in Chelsea, lived in Plymouth for 20+ years. We adore Devon but don't get down there as often as we'd like.

    Nice to meet you. I'm looking forward to further snooping around your blog.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise

      I am so pleased you found me. It does sound like we have lots in common.
      I hope you are as happy in England as I am. I LOVE it here.

      As you can see from the blog, I am fueled by tea and cakes. Try those muffins and let me know what you think.

      I hope to hear from you soon!
      Debs

      Delete

Post a Comment