Carrot Latkes - Inspired by Igor

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I had a Latvian friend called Igor.  He used to make a delicious but slightly dangerous carrot and garlic salad.  In return, I would make potato cakes or latkes for him.   The combination of hot, crisp, potato cake and cool, creamy, carrot salad was delicious, so I thought, why not combine the two and make CARROT LATKES!


These are great with sausages and caramelised onions for a sausage supper.    I usually cook my onions and sausages in the oven so it is hot and ready to take the latkes. ( 400 degrees F/ 200 degrees C)

You will need the following ingredients:

4 carrots- peeled and coarsely grated
2 eggs - separate the yolks and the whites
6-7 tablespoons of milk
100 g flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
salt and pepper 
1/4 cup grated cheese- I used cheddar but you can use any cheese you like
Vegetable oil for cooking
1 fat clove of garlic - finely minced, I use the fine side of the box grater for this, no need to clean another utensil and no big chunks of garlic 

In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks and milk.  Stir in the flour and baking powder.  Add the grated carrot, garlic, cheese and a bit of salt and pepper.  Stir together to combine. 

In another bowl whisk the egg whites until they are fluffy and have soft peaks.  Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the carrot batter.  

Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan.  I LOVE cast iron skillets for this kind of cooking.   Using a big spoon, carefully drop the carrot batter into the hot oil. I usually get about 10 latkes from this amount of batter and can only cook five at a time so you will have to make them in batches.

Fry the latkes for about 3 minutes or until the carrot cakes begin to lightly brown and puff up.  Turn the carrot cakes over and cook for 3 minutes on the other side. Remove from the frying pan and place on a baking sheet in the oven to continue cooking.  Repeat the frying process with the remaining batter.   

When the carrot latkes have puffed up and are golden brown you are ready to eat!  Igor would have loved these with a spoonful of sour cream but I think they are  yummy plain, hot out of the oven.  Thanks for the idea Igor!



Comments

  1. This sounds delicious! I love the fact that I would be serving my girls and husband veggies (not always an easy task)and the fact that they are fried means that they may actually eat them! :) I shall try this indeed! P.S. How much is 100 g of flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just measured out 100 grams of flour and it is as close to 1 cup as can be. I think this recipe could be adjusted to use leftover mashed potatoes and finely chopped onion, not that we ever have many left over mashed potatoes! I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment