Tea with Lily - Red Velvet Cookies

This afternoon I am invited to take tea with my newest and youngest friend, Lily.   Lily is the granddaughter of my good friends, Eilean and Leslie.  You may remember them from the Pub Quiz post.  Lily is visiting them for a few days so am baking some Red Velvet Cookies to take to the tea party.



Everyone knows about Red Velvet Cake so when I saw this recipe for Red Velvet Cookies I knew I'd have to give it a try.  Here is what you will need if you want to try them, too:


1 1/3 cup plain flour
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons plain yogurt
2 teaspoons vinegar, apple cider or white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1Tablespoon red food colouring


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F/ 190 degrees C.  Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.  


In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder.  


In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between additions.  Beat in the yogurt, vanilla, food colouring and vinegar.  


Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until all the dry ingredients are thoroughly combined.  Wow.... the batter looks a bit scary but be brave and carry on.



Drop the batter on to the lined baking sheets. I used my handy scoop which holds about a tablespoon of batter, but I heap it up to get nice big cookies.  
Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are baked through but still cake-like.
Let the cookies cool for a few minutes before carefully removing them from the parchment. Place them on a wire rack to cool completely.  



Once the cookies are completely cool, make the Cream Cheese Frosting:

1/2 cup cream cheese, near room temperature
1/4 cup butter, near room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 - 2 cups icing sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter.  Beat in the vanilla and add 1 1/2 cups icing sugar.   Whip until the frosting is light and fluffy, adding more icing sugar if you want a stiffer frosting.  

Choose two cookies of a similar size and shape, spread about a tablespoon of frosting on one cookie and top with the second cookie.  Continue until all the frosting is used and you have lovely Red Velvet Cookie sandwiches!  (I got 12 sandwich cookies from this batch)  


Store the cookies in an airtight container.  I've popped mine in the fridge to keep me from eating them before tea time and to firm up the frosting.  I think Lily is too young to have a Red Velvet Cookie.  She is at the crawling and investigating stage, but I hope the adults will enjoy them.  I hope you enjoy them, too!

Comments