Apples and Autumn

Something is happening, it's very subtle but something feels a bit like Autumn in the air.  It was very warm in the garden today but it wasn't a 'summertime' warmth. It felt as if the slightest cloud or breeze could break the spell.


The apples are ripening and spiders are leaving more and more webs in the trees and grass. These are the signs of a change in the seasons.


And while there are still a lot of flowers in the garden...


They are starting to look a bit tired.


The trees look spent, too.  There are one or two hints at the changes to come.


Even the leaves in the strawberry bed are changing.   The nights feel much cooler when the sun goes down and morning doesn't dawn as early as it once did.  It will soon be autumn.  


Soon it will be time to pick the apples and make cinnamon scented pies and apple crumbles.  Time to wear warm woolies and snuggle up inside our cosy little house.  I love autumn and I can't wait for it's arrival!  

Comments

  1. I love the 'fall' as I insist on calling it ;) not even had my summer hols yet - but after Portugal I intend to get all cosy and warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried really hard not to type the F word (fall). But every time I typed autumn inside my head I thought 'fall'. You can take the Yank out of the States but you can't the fall out of autumn! ; )

      Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

      Delete
  2. It's been so sunny here today, but I do know what you mean about the subtle changes. Your garden is absolutely beautiful and I can't imagine it looking tired or spent. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Cheryl, for your very kind comments. I assure you, up close it all looks a bit tattered but that's the way it's suppose to be this time of year. The garden needs a rest and so do I. Enjoy the good weather, I am going out in the garden to do some pruning!

      Thanks again! Debs : )

      Delete
  3. I was only saying to my sister yesterday, the nights are starting to draw in. There is no escaping the garden is starting to show those signs of change, picked all the Plums of the tree at the weekend, not as many as previous years still enough for eating and jamming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny, one day it seems like summer and the next day you realize it's nearly over. Still, I love this time of year and hope to be able to find some wild blackberries to make into Hedgerow Jelly. It's seems like just yesterday we were making strawberry jam!

      Happy jamming! Debs : )

      Delete
  4. Our weather here is definitely cooler and we are all happy about that! The mornings and evenings you need a light jacket and it is mostly still shorts weather during the day. Although, according to the weatherman cooler weather is on its way starting tonight and the rest of the week looks like 60's and 70's. My kind of weather since I look much better in autumn/winter clothing than I do in summer attire. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment