Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, London

In 1599, William Shakespeare's playing company, the Lord Chamberlain's Men, built and opened the first Globe Theatre.  It burned to the ground in 1613.  A second Globe was built in the same location in 1614 but was closed in 1642 by Puritan political pressure.



Like a phoenix, Shakespeare's Globe rose again in 1997 when a modern historical reconstruction of the old Globe opened it's doors.  Built using traditional Tudor methods, it was the brain child of American actor, Sam Wannamaker, and took  over twenty years to plan, fund and complete.  



Mark Rylance, the multi-award winning actor, was the new Globe's first Artistic Director and returns this season to play the title role in Richard III. As you can see, Mark has many fans, including Andy and I.  



Last night we were lucky enough to get tickets to the evening performance.  Rylance was back in the Globe and in rare form.  Critics and those in the know say this is THE hottest ticket in town. 



For those of you  who don't like Shakespeare, I say, give the Globe a chance to change your mind.  It is Shakespeare as he would have it; an authentic setting, accurate costumes and brilliant actors who deliver the Bard's lines as understandable dialogue, witty, clever and moving.



And at the end of the play, you get a Tudor jig danced to Tudor music, played on period instruments.  You will be clapping your hands and tapping your toes to tunes played on a sackbut.  Yes, I said sackbut!



As for Mark Rylance's performance, it was brilliant as ever.  He had us all spellbound.  He has a curious tradition.  At the end of each successful performance, he gives a series of leaps into the air.  He wasn't the only one jumping with joy at the Globe last night!

For more information visit this link:
http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/

Comments

  1. Vos photos me donne envie d'écoûter John Dowland...
    http://www.musicme.com/#/John-Dowland/albums/Dowland:-The-Collected-Works-0028945256320.html
    Belles photos, merci.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the beautiful music. : ) I love all things of this period, the art, theatre and music. I have the CD of Sting's 'Songs From the Labyrinth', which is also the music of John Dowland! We are of like minds.

      Thank you again!
      Debs

      Delete
  2. I love your blog header, makes me envious of homegrown produce. I haven't been to the theatre in a long while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shaheen. It has been a hard year for gardening. I lost all but four of my French beans and now something is picking holes in my apples! But the strawberries were wonderful again this year.

      We love the theatre and attend as often as we can. I hope I can share more theatre experiences with you soon.

      Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comments! Please come back again soon.
      Debs

      Delete
  3. I would love to see a play at the Globe Theater in London! How fun! We do have a Shakesphere Theater here in Chicago on Navy Pier. It was modeled after the Swan Theater and is in a theater-in-the-round (3 sided) style. I have taken the girls to a few children's performances there! A rose by any other name...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Globe is as historically accurate as you can get and the productions are wonderful. Now they are building a Jacobean indoor theatre near the Globe. I can't wait to give that one a go! Maybe we could see a play in both of them.

      Delete

Post a Comment