Cinnamon Scented Applesauce

Are you about 'appled' out?  Due to the bountiful harvest of apples from my two little espaliered trees I've been experimenting with lots of new apple recipes.  It's an old recipe that has inspired me to make a batch of applesauce.  



My grandmother used to make the most wonderful Spiced Applesauce Cake.  Autumn always makes me a little nostalgic and memories of Granny's cake have been haunting me in the most delicious way.   Before we can do any baking we must have the most important ingredient, applesauce! 



Yes, you can use store bought applesauce but with all of these apples to hand I chose to make my own.  It was really simple.  Here's what you will need:

4-5 apples, peeled, cored and chopped into small-ish pieces
3/4 cup water
4 Tablespoons of sugar 
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon - optional



Applesauce isn't a science, well not the way I make it.  If you like tart applesauce use tart apples or less sugar.   Add cinnamon or leave it out, the choice is yours.   



Place all the ingredients into a large saucepan and cook over a low heat until the apples are very soft and can be smashed with a spoon.  This will take about 15 minutes or so.  I left my applesauce a little chunky but you can make yours as smooth as you like.  I let it cool before putting it into a jar to use later but it's ready to eat right now!


 

Served warm, I can eat this like dessert.  You could even use this as filling between two regular cakes.  How about topping warm waffles with a spoonful of chunky applesauce and a bit of whipped cream. Of course, you can always serve applesauce the traditional way with roast pork.    No, I must not eat this applesauce now!  It is for our next recipe, Spiced Applesauce Cake.

Comments

  1. Gorgeous pictures. You've done well to get so many apples. The harvest around our way has been pretty poor, although I did get a bag from my mother's trees. I usually make several jars of apple sauce at this time of year as it keeps well in the fridge. I love it on top of porridge, but also use it in and on cakes. Look forward to hearing about your grandmother's applesauce cake :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I was surprised at how many apples my two little trees produced. I think I have eaten them in every way possible except in a pie! Thanks for the kind compliments about the photos. I have no idea what I am doing but I have an excellent camera that takes pictures almost automatically. It's a great toy! Tomorrow we make applesauce cake!

      Delete

Post a Comment