Market Day at Axminster

Thursdays are Market Days at Axminster.  Come rain or shine, hot or cold, the market goes on!


Today it was cold...bitterly cold!  The weather didn't seem to deter the traders or the shoppers, as the sign says, every Thursday is Street Market Day.


So we had  a look around at all the stalls; books, butchers, fruit and vegetables.


There was even a flower seller but he looked half frozen.


We were half frozen, too.  The only sensible thing to do was pop into the River Cottage Canteen for lunch and a steaming pot of tea.


After lunch we purchased a Scotch Egg and some Pork Pies from the deli.  In weather like this you need fuel and comfort food.


I have just about thawed out.  I wonder how the market traders are tonight.  


Regardless of the weather, they will be out there again next week to do it all  again. Thursdays are Street Market Day at Axminster come rain or shine!

Comments

  1. Looks lovely and festive - very cold though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great food... flipping freezing! I am still trying to thaw out! ; )

      Delete
  2. We have here such kind of markets, too. In our village a small one each Wednesday and Saturday - in the next big town (Freiburg) each morning. And I wonder like you, how all these traders manage not to freeze. I can't think of how many "shells" of clothes I would have to wear NOT to freeze! Admirable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you can eventually get used to the cold but I don't want to try! : )

      Delete
  3. Hi! Whos that guy blocking the delicious deli counter? I love farmer markets and frequent ours every Sunday after church with the girls when it is here. Guess our merchants are fair-weather friends as our market runs late April through October. The girls favorite part is seeing all the dogs that stroll by. My favorite is the "cheese guy" and the "chocolate lady". Both are excellent and worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the best part of Farmer's Markets? The free samples! YUM! ; )

      Delete
  4. Did you see the curry stall there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while but I think I remember a lovely smelling curry stall. It was so cold and I was moving pretty fast. Was that your stall? : ) More info please!

      Delete
  5. Lol! yes it's mine .(spice & rice) I'm behind the flower seller in your pic.. Nice blog even though you missed me out ;-( Maybe I need to get my signage sorted out!

    Facebook 'Spice & Rice
    Twitter @streetcurry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I am at the market I will most certainly find you and get some proper photos! And some curry!! Yum!

      Delete

Post a Comment