A New Addiction - Mustard Mashed Potatoes

Here in Britain we have a special dining culture.  Some of the best food is served in Pubs.   The really great food is served in Gastro Pubs where the emphasis is on fresh local food, cooked simply but very well.   This Pub Grub often includes Bangers and Mash, that's sausages and mashed potatoes to us Yanks.  


Often the mash isn't just plain old potatoes, but potatoes with an additional ingredient for extra flavour, like whole grain mustard!    Mustard Mash has become a new addiction for me.  I can't get enough.  


Fortunately for me, it's easy to make great mustard mash at home.   Here is an easy recipe from the experts at Waitrose:

900 grams Maris Piper potatoes - peeled and cut into chunks
50 ml milk
20 grams salted butter
2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard - Grey Poupon Old Style Mustard

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.  Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes until tender.  Drain well and return to the pan.  Add the butter, milk and Old Style mustard.  Mash until smooth. 


I must confess, I  used a bit of heavy cream instead of milk and added a good grind of black pepper and a pinch of sea salt to my mustard mash.   Serve with sausages, ham or even veggie sausages.  A splash of onion gravy makes it all even more delicious.  Give it a try and see if you don't love Mustard Mash, too.

Comments

  1. Oh, oh, I think I already do love mustard mash and I haven't tried it yet. What a fabulous idea. I always put masses of garlic in mine and sometimes include parsnips or celariac too, but I shall try yours next time I make mash :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of using mustard mash to top a Quorn cottage pie. : )

      Delete

Post a Comment