Jo Wheatley's Custard Creams

Now this is a REALLY British recipe, homemade CUSTARD CREAMS .  I've seen it done on several different blogs and when I bought Jo Wheatley's book, A Passion For Baking, I knew I had to give them a try.



Ordinarily, Custard Creams are biscuits/cookies purchased ready made from the shops and look like this:



So I wasn't quite sure if I'd gotten it right.  Andy gave them a try and said they were blog-worthy.  



So here is the recipe for JO WHEATLEY'S Custard Creams :

100 grams unsalted butter, softened
50 grams caster sugar
100 grams plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
25 grams custard powder
25 grams cornflour

Beat the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy.  Sift the flour, custard powder and cornflour into the creamed butter mixture.  Stir until until you have a smooth dough.  Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 170C/325F and line a baking sheet with baking paper. 

When the dough had chilled, dust your work surface  and rolling pin with flour and roll the dough out to a thickness of 3-4mm.  Using a cookie cutter or the rim of a small drinking glass, cut out the biscuits.  Place the biscuit shapes on the lined baking tray and return the tray to the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.

Bake the biscuits for about 10-12 minutes until the they are a light golden colour and firm.  Let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before cooling them completely on a wire rack.  




To make the filling, simply beat the following ingredients together:

150 grams icing sugar
45 grams unsalted butter, softened
20 grams custard powder
3 teaspoons milk

Place a dollop of filling on one biscuit and top with another to make a biscuit sandwich.  To keep the biscuits crisp and crunchy, keep them in an airtight container and fill the biscuits JUST before serving.  



Homemade Custard Creams and a pot of tea make very British treat! Cheers!

Comments

  1. Well, I never knew that custard creams actually had custard powder in them. Thank you - I've just learnt something new! They look wonderful and your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems they do have custard powder in them, well these do at least! : ) I only have one problem, hubby keeps eating the biscuit part without the filling. I am going to have open-top custard creams at this rate!

      Delete
  2. These look lovely and the perfect spring biscuits. I am going to give these a go. I usually eat the top of the biscuit and then the filling, finishing with the bottom. Sometimes 'dunking' the biscuit, which my hubby finds revolting as with custard creams the grease lays on top of the tea. Well, I like it! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh snap! I take my biscuits apart to eat them, too. It makes them last longer. I don't dunk but when it comes to biscuits and cookies I believe in getting maximum enjoyment out of every morsel! That means unscrewing and dunking are perfectly acceptable. : )

      Delete
  3. I still have yet to make these! They look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby loved the crunchiness of the biscuits. He has eaten most of them without the filling. Next time I might make JUST the biscuit part.

      Delete
  4. Perfect for tea time! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We have nibbled our way through most of them and it isn't tea time yet! : )

      Delete
  5. I never heard of custard powder. I be these cookies are real decadence! Lovely with tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Custard powder is a bit like an American pudding mix. It's used to made a rich vanilla pudding the British call custard. It's possible that a regular vanilla pudding mix could be substituted for custard powder. It would be an interesting kitchen experiment to try. : )

      Delete
  6. They look and sound delicious, bet they're much nicer than the shop bought ones :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl! It was a recipe I've been meaning to try for some time. Now I want to find a cake that uses custard powder. One thing leads to another. : )X

      Delete
  7. Custard creams are my all time fave - I dunk them in my tea so the filling goes soft and creamy (this disgusts most onlookers!). Your biscuits look lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've heard there are lots of custard cream dunkers out there! The filling in this recipe is soft and creamy, almost pre-dunked! : )

      Delete
  8. I haven't had a custard cream in years. Yours look so pretty and I'm sure taste heaps better than the shop bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comments! These biscuits are good with or without the filling. I have been thinking about trying to make a chocolate version of them but I suppose that would make them Bourbon Biscuits.

      Delete
  9. I love this recipe. Yours look fabulous! I adapted these to make Bourbon biscuits, and they were super too http://riversidebaking.com/2013/07/07/bourbon-biscuits/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! Your Bourbon biscuits look delicious. I must give them a try!

      Delete

Post a Comment