Fresh Strawberry Cake

My strawberry patch and I are having an awkward moment.  There are too many strawberries to eat at one sitting and too few to make jam.  I decided to perform a kitchen experiment and baked a fresh strawberry cake.



Now, I will be the first to admit it isn't the prettiest cake I've ever seen.  The strawberries in the batter makes it look a little ...um, well strange.  I was tempted to add some food colouring but I am glad I didn't.  I am not sure a lurid pink cake would look less strange. Yes, the glaze is very pink but that's because it's made from ripe strawberries, icing sugar and a spoonful of cream cheese.

If you want to participate in this kitchen experiment, here's how I made Fresh Strawberry Cake:

Heat the oven to 180C/350F.  Grease a round cake tin, 7inches/18cm. I used a paper cake case to line my tin.  They are really handy if you want to take your cakes on picnics and can be purchased at Pound shops for next to nothing.

150 grams hulled ripe strawberries- rinsed in cold water and lightly mashed 
60 grams room temperature butter or Stork Margarine
125 grams caster sugar
100 grams plain flour
1 egg - room temperature
2 Tablespoons plain yogurt or sour cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar.  Add the egg and beat for about a minute.  Add the salt, baking soda, vanilla and yogurt, beat until well combined.  Mix in the flour.  Finally, fold in the mashed strawberries.   

Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 30 - 40 minutes. If your berries are really ripe and juicy it may take a bit longer. The cake is done when the top springs back when lightly touched and a sharp knife inserted in the centre of the cake come out clean 



You could dust the cake with powdered sugar and serve it with cream, custard or ice cream.  I still have lots of ripe berries so I made this simple glaze to drizzle over the cake:

Take a few very ripe berries and mash them with a tablespoon of cream cheese.  Sift a cup or two of icing sugar and beat it into the strawberry-cream cheese mixture a little at a time until you have a very pink glaze.  Spoon the glaze over the cake and serve with a few more berries....

Refrigerate any leftover cake.  Served cold this cake reminds me of strawberry ice cream!  



Comments

  1. This doesn't look strange, this looks very fruity and yummy! I bet it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment above, I think this cake looks lovely and I don't think the batter looks strange, but rather delicate and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katharine. : ) I suppose we get used to seeing cakes with piping and sprinkles so a simple cake can look quite plain. It's the flavour that counts.

      Delete
  3. It looks very, very tasty to me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! : ) I think it's pretty tasty but I'd better have another piece to make sure.

      Delete
  4. I one time attempted a fresh strawberry loaf cake and so I know the strange colour you are talking about! But the pretty pink icing makes it absolutely gorgeous! Not that looks matter especially when we're talking about cake! I like the idea of it tasting like strawberry ice cream! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side would really be good! ; )

      Delete
  5. How gorgeous looking Debs - Strawberries and just quintessentially summer aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Stuart. : ) This cake just shouts 'garden party' to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've put my taste buds into a frenzy...unable to eat my favorite summer treat, do you think I could substitute a strawberry jelly, or possibly a box of jello? Have condition barring all types of seeds :-(( Love your blog and tweets! mjf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comments! : ) There are lots of strawberry cake recipes using strawberry Jello. I think you could easily use both to make the strawberry cake recipe below:

      http://allrecipes.com/recipe/strawberry-cake-from-scratch/

      Let me know if it works!

      Delete

Post a Comment