Apple Crumble Tarts and Cliches

I was always told necessity is the mother of invention.  I was also told not to make that face it would freeze that way, but I  digress. You may recall from a previous POST that I have accumulated several packages of frozen pastry.  I also have a rather large amount of apples in storage.  I believe a batch of tarts may be the answer to this small food mountain.



Start by cutting 12 circles out of ready rolled shortcrust pastry. Place the pastry circles between two pieces of plastic wrap and roll them out a bit more so they are big enough overlap the holes in the tart tin.   Line each hole with a pastry circle.  Don't worry if they rumple up a bit, these are rustic little tarts. The wonky pastry gives them character.  Place the pastry cases back in the fridge to rest and chill.



While the pastry is chilling in the fridge, make the apple filling.  I used my small home grown apples so it took 6 little apples to make the filling.  3 larger apples would probably be enough for six tarts. 

Peel, core and slice the apples and place them into a saucepan. 

Add 2 -3 tablespoons of soft brown sugar (more or less depending on how tart your apples are) and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

Cook the apples over a low heat for a few minutes until they begin to soften and release their juices.

Stir in 1 tablespoon of plain flour and cook for one minute more.  Remove the pan from the heat and let the filling cool.  



Now, I have to say, I don't care much for crimping pastry.  I can do it, I just don't want to do it to 12 tiny tarts!   So I was delighted when I found a bag of frozen crumble topping in the freezer.    Click HERE FOR MY CRUMBLE TOPPING RECIPE .    You can make half a batch for your tarts or just freeze the unused topping for future crumble making.  Spoon the apple mixture into the chilled pastry cases, top with lots of crumble mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes at 375F/ 190C.   The pastry should be golden brown and the filling bubbling like lava.  Let the tarts cool in the tin for a few minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.  


You probably noticed  I referred to 12 tart cases and there are only 8 apple crumble tarts.   I filled the other four tart cases with mincemeat for Andy.   Like they always say, variety is the spice of life!  

Comments

  1. Your apple crumble tarts look fantastic! The photos are great too. I could definitely demolish a few of these in a sitting, they look so inviting...I shall be bookmarking :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comments! : ) Try adding a spoonful of mincemeat to the apple filling for a twist on the traditional mincemeat pie. I am not a mincemeat fan but I love it with extra apple filling.

      Delete

Post a Comment