The Tiniest Flower

Our cat, the Dust Bunny, is always bringing stuff in from the garden.  Most of the time it's bits of grass, muddy paws, and frequently a baby slug which has attached itself to a bit of tummy fur.  I spend lots of time 'tidying up' behind him.  But today he brought in something quite extraordinary!  



He had his breakfast and snuggled down on the little sofa in the sitting room for a snooze. So far - so normal, but laying beside him, as if it had been carefully placed there was the tiniest flower I've ever seen!



I confess to having a rather over- active imagination so it was easy for me to leap to the conclusion that the Dust Bunny had found this diminutive specimen and thought it would be a lovely gift for me.



I immediately set out to find ways to demonstrate just how small this beautiful blossom is, taking a photo of the flower beside the lens cap of my camera.



I found the petals would fit between the lines of an old diary.  I compared it to the word, page, printed on a letter.  It is TINY and very blue!



I have no idea what it is so if you know, please leave me a note in the comments section. I am going to give the Dust Bunny a cuddle and thank him for the lovely gift from the garden... even though I know the next time he will bring in a SLUG! 

* I've been told this flower is called Speedwell (Veronica).  CLICK HERE to see the medicinal properties of this beautiful flower.

Comments

  1. C'est bien une fleur de véronique. Il y a plus petit encore, toutes d'un beau bleu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was enchanted by this little flower. I have no idea where the cat found it. There are none in any of the neighbours' gardens or in mine!

      Delete
  2. Aww..lovely cat. Our boy cat used to bring in mice, in an attempt to get us to learn how to catch them. He was always disgusted at our reaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have one of those lurking about the house right now. I thought I heard a scuffle in the small hours of the morning. I've just baited the live traps. Look what the cat dragged in!

      Delete
  3. How lovely and so much better than a slug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's speedwell. Common weed in most gardens but so pretty I leave it wherever I can. Clever Dust Bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really Veronica. They bloom here every spring in beautiful flower"carpets". What a special gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was very pleased with my little gift even if it was just a happy accident. : D

      Delete
  6. It's Slender Speedwell (Veronica filiformis) which is a wildflower, although many gardeners consider it to be a weed. Many pretty, small flowers such as this are often overlooked. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was spellbound by this tiny flower. It had so many interesting markings and colour variations on the petals. I don't think it would be nearly as beautiful if it were a bigger blossom.

      Delete
  7. Such a pretty little flower. Are you going to press it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so tiny, it dried up in a matter of minutes. I suppose the moral of the story is the most beautiful things in life are delicate and fleeting. Enjoy them while you can. : D

      Delete
  8. Hi I've just come a cross your lovely blog and am now your new follower.. I must say Dust Bunny is a very handsome chap. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, and welcome! I am so glad you found us. As you can see, this blog is a bit random but that's just the way we are, too. I'll pass on your kind complement to the Dust Bunny. He loves being told he is handsome. ; D

      Delete

Post a Comment