Woolly Flowers for Christmas

I know it's rude to use the C-word (Christmas) before the Thanksgiving turkey is eaten but I've got an idea for decorating some really special Christmas packages. Here in Britain we have a plant known as the Christmas Rose and it inspired me to make these simple knitted flowers. 


I think they would be lovely used in place of bows on the Christmas gifts.  Sew a small safety pin onto the back of the flower and they can be worn as a brooch or pinned to your favourite winter hat.  


They are easy to make, take next to no time to knit, and can be made from the bits and pieces of left over yarn in your knitting basket.  You can customise the basic pattern by adding a button and a skinny pom-pom to make the stamens. 


Are you ready to knit?  Here is what you will need:

Pair of small knitting needles - I used 3.25mm
Some yarn -  Double Knit is best - mine was from the Pound Shop!
Buttons and a darning needle

Here's the pattern:

Cast on 60 stitches
Rows 1 -10:  K2, P2 across the whole row
Row 11: Knit 2 stitches together across the row ( 30 stitches)
Row 12: Slip 1 stitch, Knit 2 stitches together then pass the slip stitch over
             Repeat across the whole row (10 stitches)

Break off the yarn leaving a long tail. Tread the tail back through the stitches on the knitting needle. Slide the stitches off the needle and pull the tread tight, forming a flower shape.  Sew the edges together to complete the petals.  Finish with pom-pom stamens and buttons.    


That's all there is to it.  I am going to get back to my knitting.  Watch this space to see the final floral flourish on wrapped Christmas parcels.  Of course, I haven't actually bought any Christmas gifts yet.  It's far too early to think about Christmas shopping!  That only happens after Thanksgiving. 

Comments

  1. Very pretty and I think that even with my limited knitting skills I could manage these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very easy to make or I wouldn't be able to do it. ; D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome! Love this idea and wish I knew how to knit. They are really pretty and festive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment